This white paper contains a set of best practices to deploy VMware ESX 3.5 using HP BladeSystem c-Class ProLiant Server Blades and HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA) storage, using HP Virtual Connect. The best practices included in this paper will enable customers to realise the benefits of using the virtualisation capabilities of VMware in conjunction with HP server blades, HP Virtual Connect, and EVA, with emphasis on how to combine their functionalities to complement each other.
This paper addresses the following fundamental deployment issues:
- How to configure and deploy a set of virtual machines on the server blade using VMware ESX Server 3.5
- How to deploy HP Virtual Connect technology in a blade enclosure
- How to configure and deploy VMware Virtual Machine File System (VMFS) on an EVA
- How to effectively manage the overall environment, using a combination of HP management tools and VMware vCenter Server
- How to configure and utilize the advanced high-availability features from VMware (VMware High Availability [HA], VMware VMotion™, and VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler [DRS]) to deliver and sustain a high-availability infrastructure.
Using the methods and best practices described in this paper will facilitate both the productive planning and the timely deployment of a fully operational VMware ESX Server 3.5 deployment using a combination of HP BladeSystem c-Class ProLiant Server Blades connected to an EVA array via HP Virtual Connect technology.
The guidelines and best practices that follow can ensure the following:
- Proper configuration and deployment of the entire environment, including the VMware environment, HP server blades, the EVA, and HP Virtual Connect technology
- Predictable performance characteristics
- Ease of operation, including the effective use of the advanced HA features
The is paper along with many other solution specific best practice documents on Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, SAP and VMware are downloadable from the CFT website on hp.com <<click here>>
Working directly with our customers, HP’s Customer Focused Testing (CFT) team creates innovative solutions that address the operational requirement challenges our customers worry about every day:
- Sizing and configuring your environment to optimize your infrastructure
- Backing up and recovering valuable business information
- Creating a highly available infrastructure
Carefully planned and implemented, our Customer Focused Testing Solutions incorporate HP storage, server and software products to bring you:
- Reduced implementation cost and time
- Predictable results through documented best practices
- Optimized performance across all solution components
- Best possible return on investment
- Increased availability
- Reduced risk